Friday, February 22, 2008

THE MERCHANT OF VENICE: To Bait Fish Withal

This is the famous Shylock speech I performed last Wednesday during English Session.

To bait fish withal;
If it would feed nothing else, it would feed
my revenge
He hath disgraced me; and hindered me
half a million
Laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains
Scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains
Cooled my friends, heated mine enemies
And what's his reason!? I am a Jew
Hath not a Jew Eyes? Hath not a Jew hands,
Organs, Dimensions
Senses, Affections, Passions
Fed with the same food, hurt with the same
weapons
Subject to the same diseases, healed by the
same means
Warmed and cooled by the same winter and
summer as a Christian is.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
If you poison us, do we not die?
And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble
you in that.
If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility?
Revenge?
If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his
sufferance be, by Christian example?
Why, revenge?
The villainy you teach me, I will execute
And it shall go hard, but I will better the
instruction.

It seems kinda intimidating but it's not. If you wanna know how it is said, go here

1 comment:

Farhaad said...

can u tell me what it means i have to rewrite shylocks speech so plz reply